Saturday 17 August 2013

Beyond the Bookstore

At the moment, I work for a little specialty bookstore, which I adore. It’s a travel bookstore, so we sell globes and maps along with a heap of travel guides and travel non-fiction. Outwardly (and inwardly as well, I suppose) the store is rather small and contained. Its owner and founder still works in the store a few days a week, none of its employees are full time and yet they have all been there for years. There are about 8 or 9 of us working there, which means that every employee plays an essential role in the team. We learn not only the skills needed within our position, but usually learn how to do everyone else’s job as well. It's a well-oiled machine and it feels so good to be a part of something like that.

Of course, all good things must come to an end , and my contract was just that sort of good thing. Sure, they are being nice – they like me, and though they can’t afford to keep me on with my current hours, they would like me to work once a week. That reduction in time and pay is unfortunately too much for me – I am now forced to look for a job.

What to do, then? Well, I’ve been browsing the job sites and sending out applications in hopes one will bite. It’s a strange game. How do you write a concise cover letter that is professional and strikes the balance between modesty and salesmanship? Then there is the issue of language. I can write in Dutch, and speak the language as well… but I cannot manipulate it the way I can my mother tongue. Maybe I will go back to school, get the credentials I lack and come out ahead in a few years. I would love to be employed somewhere where I can put my skills to good use, where I have a level of control and respect that lets me come home with my chest held high.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do, but the search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment